N. Korean envoy vows stronger 'self
简介North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations said Tuesday his country is "urgently" required ...
North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations said Tuesday his country is "urgently" required to bolster its self-defense capabilities, claiming the Korean Peninsula faces the "immediate danger of nuclear war breakout."
Addressing the UN General Assembly in New York, Ambassador Kim Song attributed the "current dangerous situation" to South Korea and the United States, lambasting a series of steps that the allies have taken to bolster deterrence against evolving North Korean threats.
"Given the prevailing circumstances, the DPRK is urgently required to further accelerate the build-up of its self-defense capabilities to defend itself impregnably," the ambassador said during his live-streamed speech. DPRK stands for the North's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
"It is only too natural that the more the reckless military moves and provocations of the hostile forces are intensified …, the more our endeavors to enhance national defense capabilities would increase in direct proportion," he added.
Kim catalogued a series of defensive exercises between the US and South Korea namely the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, the launch of the Nuclear Consultative Group and repeated verbal warnings against the North's potential use of nuclear arms.
"From the beginning of the year, the US and the 'Republic of Korea' made hysterical remarks of confrontation such as 'end of the regime; and 'occupation of Pyongyang' in flagrant violation of the principles and purposes of the UN Charter," he said.
Calling South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol only by his name, Kim criticized Yoon's warning at the UN General Assembly that any arms deal between Russia and North Korea would be considered a "direct provocation" against South Korea.
"Development of equal and reciprocal relations between and among independent sovereign states is not an issue for the "ROK" to interfere in as it is no more than a colony of the US," Kim said.
He described the Yoon administration as a "puppet" government, accusing it of raising tensions.
"The Korean Peninsula is in a hair-trigger situation with imminent danger of nuclear war breakout," he said.
Kim Sang-jin, South Korea's deputy permanent representative to the UN, hit back, chastising the North for making "groundless, illogical and absurd" allegations.
"Do you really believe as the DPRK claims the Republic of Korea, together with the US, conspires to provoke a nuclear war on the Korean Peninsula without reasons that will cause catastrophic casualties?," he asked. "How many member states in this chamber are seriously aligned with the DPRK's false assertions? My answer is clear: untrue, absolutely incorrect," he said. (Yonhap)
China’s economic slowdown could deteriorate more than initially projected, increasing the strain on ...
이재명 더불어민주당 대표 국회 체포동의안 가결(지난 21일)이 내년 총선 판도에 미칠 파장을 두고 국민의힘 내부에서 손익 계산이 분주하다. 민주당 내 이탈표로 확인된 내분의 씨앗이 ...
Rookie K-pop bands rarely remain off the radar for even a month after debuting, but Mimiirose stayed ...
- 민주당 "영장 기각은 사필귀정…尹 머리 숙여 사죄하라"
- JTBC drama ‘Reborn Rich’ goes to Emmys
- Do professors in Korea have too much power over students?
- Revamped Genesis GV80 and first coupe sibling unveiled
- 김정은, 19일 저녁 평양 도착…北매체 "불멸의 대외 혁명활동"
- Seoul prepares for first major military parade in ten years
- Hyundai Steel to showcase low
- BTS agency likely to face tougher disclosure rules
- XG storms back with 'New DNA'
- ‘Do you know Dr. Hong?’ Moms say they wish they didn’t
- Gangwon Forestry Exhibition 2023 kicks off in Korea's 'forest capital'
- [Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
- Yoon pushes for Xi’s visit to firm up ties with China
- PM arrives in China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- Sabre fencer, swimming relay team eye historic medals
- [New in Korean] Year 2020 revisited under shadow of disconnection
- PM departs for China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- LG Chem pivots to LFP with Huayou for Morocco plant
- Surveillance cameras to be a must in hospital operating rooms
- [Today’s K
- BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
- Dodgers prospect trying to fit in with S. Korean nat'l baseball team
- PM to meet with Xi on sidelines of Asian Games in Hangzhou
- Korea’s parental leave benefits lag behind OECD average
- Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
- BTS' Suga begins military service
- S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
- Opposition head pleads for support in ‘fight against Yoon dictatorship’
- Golden apples: Why fruit prices are national issue in early autumn